"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."- Leonardo da Vinci

10.06.2011

Apple picking

It may sound trivial, but family is really important to me,but especially creating family traditions and beautiful memories for my son and niece. Maybe I’ve become more conscious of the importance of traditions by becoming a mom, or maybe it’s the fact that I don’t have a lot of family around, but I spend a lot of time trying to come up with memorable and fun traditions for our little clan to enjoy.
For the last 3 years, every September, we go apple-picking. Believe it or not this was an entirely new experience for me.  Growing up in Romania, we had our own apple trees in my grandmother’s garden so there was no need to go too far to stock up on fruit.
There are lots of choices around Montreal when it comes to apple-picking, but so far we’ve gone back to this one particular orchard called Verger Lacroix. They grow Honey Crisp apples, which are my favorites. We pack up the kids, sandwiches, sometimes drag the grandparents along and we spend the entire day there. They have everything from a playground to a petting zoo, sometimes even a little maze made of bales of hay. A trailer hitched to a tractor takes you to the place where you can pick, and what 3 year old does not love that? Every time we’ve gone the weather has been absolutely perfect, and we’ve had a blast. Both my son and my niece will talk about the experience for weeks afterwards, and I am sure they will remember these excursions.
The only problem is…..I’ve got 30 pounds of apples! Help! What was I thinking? Anyone have some apple crumble/cake/crisp/pie recipes to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment