"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."- Leonardo da Vinci

9.06.2015

Inspired by Art

What I have noticed is, that in order to be perfectly happy with a knit, I seem to have to knit it twice, maybe even three times. I guess the perfectionist in me has a hard time feeling satisfied. Then again, isn’t that the very definition of a perfectionist?

Perhaps I need to learn to love, maybe even embrace, the imperfections that come with hand-made items. That is a long term goal for sure…Letting go is not something that comes easily to me. Still, improving on a knit must surely be a good thing. I have a great example. Only a few weeks ago, I knit my first version of Ruffaluffagus. While the result is adorable (blogged about it here), as soon as it was blocked and photographed I already had a mental checklist of changes put together. And since I have a niece the same size as my daughter, and it was all fresh in my mind, I immediately cast on for another one.

My improvements you ask? Here's a really brief summary. I cast on more stitches, to give it more of a tunic/dress shape, instead of the ruffles, I chose a simple lace pattern called "The Cluster stitch". To avoid my previous issue of the neck-opening being too tight, I started the back split earlier, and last but not least, I decided to make it a long sleeve top, simply to be able to prolong the wear. I am delighted with the end result. I cannot wait to see my niece wearing it.

And how about this colour combination? My mind immediately went to Monet’s works when I saw it. His series of Water-lilies paintings especially. 

And who does not love projects that only use one skein of yarn?




4 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love revisiting the patterns! The second way around is I feel so much more confident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be stunning - I actually don't usually knit projects twice - but as I have started with sewing, and saw that it was much more fun the second time round, I might just have to start with knitting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are great. It is such a cute knit. It does remind me of Monet too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet little dress! And so cute that the little cousins have matching ones :) There is a set of yarn by Desert Vista Dyeworks that I am dying to purchase - four skeins, one for each season that I'd love to knit the Dragneficient shawl in each one of them and have a set... but I'm not sure I could really knit the same pattern 4 times! I remember seeing Monet's water lilies at the Musee de l’Orangerie in Paris and thinking I'd like to just live there... or make something inspired by each one, the subtle changes of colours were so amazing. Love that we have so many yarn choices to help aid our creativity. I can't paint to save my life!

    ReplyDelete